Thursday, January 24, 2008

Her cat pees on the furniture -- reader is "annoyed"


Dear Dr. Jim

I'm having a problem with my Elmer, my cat. He is peeing on the furniture and all over the place, just hauls off and goes where he wants.

Last night was the last straw. I came home from the mall and guess what? He had peed on my jacket, my new and exotic Clara S. Zebra Jacket.

Now it smells to high Heaven. The cleaners say they can take out the stain but not the smell.

Annoyed by Elmer, Elma in Princeton

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear Annoyed

I can't stress to much here, the cat must stop it or go. He is creating a terribly unsanitary condition. You didn't say if you have kids but if you do they should be evacuated immediately! Cat pee in furniture is hazardous to health.

If he is going in just certain spots, you can try a good cat repellent. Most pet stores carry that. You have to spray every day in the places they go.

You might be interested in that I had a cat get into my pickup truck one night. That cat must have been drinking gallons. My leather jacket could not be redeemed, all her pee had saturated the lining. Your cleaner is right.

Another suggestion we used with a cat that kept climbing the draperies. That cat became an OUTSIDE CAT real fast!

"'Inappropriate elimination' is the No. 1 cat behavior problem. Betsy Lipscomb, founder of
Cats International, a volunteer organization that provides free telephone counseling for desperate cat owners, told me that of the almost 5,000 calls she gets a year, nearly 90 percent are related to out-of-the-box soiling. It is the most common reason cats are turned in to shelters, where the likelihood is minuscule that a Persian cat who pees on the Persian carpet will find a new home." Me Against the Cat Pee

According to Ms. Lipscomb, having a clean and desirable litter box will solve 80% of the problems. Check it out to see if you are filling Elmer's bill here.

Incidentally, the
Slate article is a rather old, but humorous, story about a cat who had Elmer's problems. I doubt if the article will help you much but a laugh always does some good some way.

I hope this has helped a little, why don't you try Google for more solutions.

I don't mean to scold, but had your jacket been hanging in the closet it would be fine today.









So, keep on keep'n on, and till then,
"Please ask your question or leave your comment now!"
(Just ask me and you will remain anonymous)

Submit question or comment in privacy now

To read the rules and/or submit a question, click here.

(CLICK HERE NOW, I've read the rules.)

To leave a comment or non-private question, simply leave a comment below as usual.

3 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Dr. Jim, funny, funny answer! And that last smack at her leaving her jacket laying around... priceless! :)

maryt/theteach said...

Okay, here we go Dr. Jim. Last night on TV I watched "Two and a Half Men" and the protagonist of the episode, Charlie Harper (played by Charlie Sheen) kept insisting that the older a woman gets the longer her ear lobes get. And, of course, that's why he doesn't want to date older women (He's around 40 and dates women in their 20s and 30s).

What I NEED to know is "Is it true?" Do women's ear lobes get longer as they age? This is a very important question to me. I don't want long, skinny, floppy ear lobes as I sail into my mature years or, rather, my maturer years. So far my ear lobes are firmish but I'm really scared. And if it's true that ear lobes sag, what does one do about it?

Is there a cream, or something to apply? Are there collagen injections for lobes? Is there some sort of surgery to tighten them? Please answer ASAP. I feel them stretching out as we speak!

maryt/theteach Work of the Poet

Anonymous said...

maybe if you wear heavy earings all your life they'd stretch out over time..but if you don't..i don't see why they would stretch out..lol

Post a Comment