Saturday, January 6, 2018

Leaking Power Steering Pump

Dear Dr. Jim
 
MY POWERSTEERING HAS A HUGE LEAK. AND IVE BEEN FILLING IT AND KEPT DRIVING. IT STOPPED WORKING AND IS STILL Hard TO turn.
 
I was driving this morning and my car started making this squealing noise like the belt was squealing. Then it started to smoke and it still drives but I am not sure what is wrong with my Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2000, 3.8L.
 
Heather in Vegas Town

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Dear Heather
 
I am sorry to hear this, about the squealing and smoking.  Right away the squealing says that your power steering pump has frozen up.  Probably caused by driving your car when the pump is empty of oil.
 
The smoking is bad, bad.  Next your belt will break because of the friction that also caused the squealing.  By this time it probably has already broken and you were forced to get another power steering pump and a new belt. 
 
A suggestion about replacements.  First, always buy a new belt.  It will last a long time if nothing gets dry and freezes, causing belt friction when it slips.
 
Next though, you have three choices about finding a pump replacement.  Most times the ones you will get either from (1) the dealer or (2) an auto parts place will be a rebuilt pump.   This is perfectly okay, possibly better than the factory new pump.
 
Your third place (3) is from a 'junk yard', more likely called a "Used Auto Parts" business.  I like to find one still in the car as then I will better be able to evaluate its quality.   Try to find one that has recently been replaced.  Those won't be as greasy and messy as the older original ones. 

If you find one very recently replaced then probably the belt had also been replaced at that time and it will be almost as good as new.  This third option WILL BE A LOT CHEAPER, perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 of the rebuilt price.

Also negotiate with the junk yard that the pump should work and if it doesn't you will be allowed to find another one there or get a refund.

The sales person for every option here will want your old pump returned so it can be rebuilt.  If you haven't taken it off yet and can't bring it in right then they will charge you a CORE CHARGE.  That charge will be refunded to you when you get your old pump to the sales place.

I put a rebuild automatic transmission in my 1987 Chevy Tahoe pickup and it lasted longer than the original, still was going when I sold the truck.  I paid $50 for the transmission and $50 to a mechanic for labor of putting it in my truck.  Replacing it at the dealer would have cost me over $1500 for a rebuilt transmission job.  Prices are higher now than back in the late 1990's.

I hope this helps,

Dr. Jim
 
BTW, any time a car is leaking fluid you should find out the cause and have it corrected as soon as practical.  Often driving a car low in fluids can end up costing MUCH MORE than just fixing the leak. 

If it leaks or runs low on motor oil it could ruin the engine and you would have to buy a replacement using my three options that I gave for the water pump. 

YES, you can even buy a used engine at the 'junk yard'.  Same goes for most any replacement part.

So, keep on keep'n on, and till then, "Please ask your question or leave your comment now!" (Just ask me and you will remain anonymous)

Submit your question or comment in privacy now

To read the rules and/or submit a question, click here.

(I've read the rules, CLICK HERE NOW)

To leave a comment or non-private question, simply leave a comment below as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment